- 1 pound beef liver, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Total time: 35 minutes Serves: 4
Instructions for Absolute Best Liver and Onions recipe:
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the liver slices in the mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the liver to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned on both sides. Remove the liver from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the beef broth to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Return the liver to the skillet and spoon the onions and broth over the top.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the liver is cooked through and the onions are caramelized.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
To make it beautiful you can garnish with fresh parsley or chives and serve it with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Nutrition per serving (assuming 4 servings): Calories: 250 Fat: 18g Carbs: 7g Protein: 18g