Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Preparation time: 1 hour Cooking time: 1 hour Total time: 2 hours Serves: 6
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
Instructions for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and set aside. Once the water is boiling, add the cabbage head to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes or until the leaves are pliable. Remove from the pot and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Take a cabbage leaf and place about 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center. Roll the leaf up, tucking in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining leaves and meat mixture.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the cabbage rolls in the pot, seam side down. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
To make it beautiful
- You can garnish the dish with fresh parsley or chopped green onions, and
- You can also add a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt on top.
Nutrition per serving (based on 6 servings): Calories: 350 Fat: 12 g Carbs: 35 g Protein: 23 g