King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a classic Tex-Mex dish made with chicken, tortillas, and a creamy sauce.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes Serves: 8
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions for King Ranch Chicken Casserole recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes and green chilies, sour cream, milk, minced garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place 4 tortillas on top of the sauce, overlapping them slightly.
- Layer half of the chicken, 1/3 of the grated cheese, and 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining tortillas, chicken, cheese, and sauce.
- Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
To dress it up, you can garnish it with chopped fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream before serving.
Nutrition per serving (1/8 of the recipe):
- Calories: 463
- Fat: 29g
- Carbs: 24g
- Protein: 27g