Chef John’s Italian Meatballs:
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20-25 minutes Total time: 35-40 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 1 lb ground beef (or a mixture of beef, pork, and veal)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for cooking)
Instructions for Chef John’s Italian Meatballs recipe:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
To dress it up:
- You can serve the meatballs with a simple marinara sauce or a pesto sauce on top, or with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
Nutrition per serving (based on 6 servings):
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 24g
- Carbs: 6g
- Protein: 20g