Here is the recipe for Chef John’s Chicken Fricassee:
Servings: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hour
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Instructions for Chef John’s Chicken Fricassee recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and then coat them in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until they are browned on both sides, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and bring it to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned bits.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the heavy cream and parsley. Return the pot to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, place a chicken thigh on each plate and spoon the sauce and vegetables over the top.
To dress it up and make it look beautiful, you can garnish the dish with some chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or chives. You can also serve it over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or with a side of steamed vegetables.
Per serving, this recipe contains approximately:
- Calories: 460
- Fat: 30g
- Carbs: 18g
- Protein: 28g