Chef John’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken
-3-4 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (whatever combination you like)
-2 cups buttermilk
-2 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon paprika
-1 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-Vegetable oil, for frying
Instructions for Chef John s Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 12 hours.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together the flour, paprika, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade, allowing any excess to drip off, and then coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Carefully place the chicken in the hot oil, being sure not to overcrowd the skillet. Fry, turning occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 12-15 minutes for wings, 15-18 minutes for drumettes, and 20-25 minutes for thighs and drumsticks.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 25-35 minutes Total time: 2 hours and 35-45 minutes
To dress it up: -Garnish with chopped fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro. -Serve with a side of honey or hot sauce for dipping. -Serve it with a side of coleslaw for a classic Southern meal.
Nutrition per serving (based on 4 servings): Calories: 537 Fat: 33g Carbs: 24g Protein: 34g
Note: Nutritional information is approximate and may vary based on specific ingredients and portion sizes used.