Beef Au Jus Recipe:
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 3 hours Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 4-5 pounds beef roast (such as rib eye or sirloin)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions for Beef Au Jus recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season the beef roast with salt and pepper and place it in a large, oven-safe Dutch oven or roasting pan.
- In a separate pan, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat and add the onions. Cook until softened and slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the beef broth, red wine, tomato paste, thyme, and rosemary. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the beef roast, making sure the liquid covers the roast. If necessary, add more beef broth to fully cover the meat.
- Cover the pan with foil or a lid and place it in the oven. Bake for 3 hours, or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and let the beef rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice the beef and serve with the au jus (the liquid in the pan) on the side.
To make it more visually appealing, you can garnish the beef with fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary and serve it with a side of creamy mashed potatoes or crusty bread to soak up the delicious au jus.
Nutrition per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories: 368 Fat: 19.2 g Carbs: 5.2 g Protein: 41.6 g
Note: Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary based on the exact ingredients used and portion sizes.