Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that typically includes pickled vegetables, cilantro, chiles, and various meats or tofu, all served on a crusty baguette. Here is a recipe for a classic pork belly Banh Mi:
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 2 hours Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 (6-inch) baguettes or French rolls
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound pork belly
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for Banh Mi recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce.
- Cut the baguettes or rolls in half lengthwise, and spread the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides.
- In another small bowl, mix together the cilantro, mint, basil, green onions, and jalapeño peppers.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, and kosher salt until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut the pork belly into thin slices. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and brown the pork belly slices on both sides. Sprinkle the five-spice powder and black pepper over the pork belly, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding the pork belly slices, pickled vegetables, and herb mixture to the bottom halves of the baguettes or rolls.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the bread is toasted and the fillings are hot.
To dress it up, you can add additional herbs or lettuce for garnish.
Per serving (assuming 4 servings): -Calories: 748 -Fat: 47 g -Carbohydrates: 49 g -Protein: 32 g
Keep in mind that these values can change based on the ingredients used