Here is a recipe for homemade chicken soup:
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Total time: 1 hour and 45 minutes Servings: 6
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Instructions for Homemade Chicken Soup recipe:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot and cook until they are no longer pink on the outside, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add the chicken broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, basil, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Add the carrots, celery, rice, and peas to the pot. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and serve.
To dress up the soup, you can add a sprinkle of fresh parsley or a dollop of sour cream to each serving. You can also serve the soup with a side of crusty bread.
One serving of this chicken soup (1/6 of the recipe) has approximately:
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you have any questions.