Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Instructions for Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy recipe:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into four equal-sized patties.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the beef broth, cornstarch, and water. Pour the mixture into the skillet with the onions and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and return the patties to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
To dress it up, you can serve the hamburger steak on a bed of mashed potatoes, or with a side of green beans. You can also garnish it with chopped parsley or chives.
Nutrition per serving (based on 4 servings): Calories: 446 Fat: 27g Carbs: 12g Protein: 36g