Empanadas (Beef Turnovers)
Preparation time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Total time: 50 minutes Serves: 8
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Instructions for Empanadas (Beef Turnovers) recipe:
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the onion, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the raisins, olives, cilantro, and tomato paste. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let the filling cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, butter, and water until a dough forms. Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out circles of dough using a round cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place a spoonful of the beef filling on one half of each dough circle. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg. Fold the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape and press the edges to seal.
- Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and brush the top of each empanada with beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the empanadas are golden brown.
Dressing it up:
- You can serve the empanadas with a simple green salad or a side of salsa and sour cream.
- Use some parsley or cilantro as a garnish, or add a sprinkle of paprika on top of it to make it more visually appealing
Nutrition per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories: 459 Fat: 27g Carbohydrates: 27g Protein: 26g
Note: Nutritional values may vary based on the specific ingredients and brands used.