Corned Beef and Cabbage is a traditional Irish dish that is typically served on St. Patrick’s Day.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 2-3 hours Total time: 2-3 hours 15 minutes
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- 4-5 lb corned beef brisket
- 1 large head of green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4-5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
Instructions for Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven or large, oven-safe pot, place the corned beef brisket, beef broth, whole grain mustard, black pepper, and caraway seeds (if using).
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 2-3 hours, or until the corned beef is tender.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Return the pot to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a side of whole grain mustard.
To dress it up, you can make a nice presentation by placing the corned beef on a platter and arranging the vegetables around it. Additionally, you can garnish it with fresh parsley or thyme.
Nutrition per serving (based on 6 servings): Calories: 600 Fat: 37g Carbs: 20g Protein: 48g
Please note that the nutrition information may vary based on the brand of corned beef used and the serving size.