Classic Goulash is a traditional Hungarian dish made with beef, onions, paprika, and various other seasonings. It is usually served with potatoes or dumplings. Here is a recipe for Classic Goulash that serves 4 people:
- 2 lbs beef (chuck or shoulder), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups potatoes or dumplings
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 2 hours Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Instructions for Classic Goulash recipe:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add the paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram, and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Return the beef to the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with 2 tablespoons of water to make a paste. Stir this mixture into the goulash.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over potatoes or dumplings.
To dress up the goulash and make it look beautiful, you can garnish it with sour cream, chopped parsley, or grated cheese.
Nutrition per serving (based on 4 servings):
- Total Calories: 600-700 Kcal
- Fat: 35-40 g
- Carbohydrates: 20-25 g
- Protein: 45-50 g
Note: The nutritional value of the dish might vary depending on the ingredients and serving size you use.