Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic French dish that consists of a chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese. Here is a recipe for making it:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 thin slices of deli ham
- 8 thin slices of Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 25-30 minutes Total time: 45-50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Instructions for Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound it to an even thickness with a meat mallet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Lay out a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on a cutting board. Place a chicken breast on top of the ham and cheese. Roll the chicken up tightly, tucking in the edges of the ham and cheese as you go. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Place the flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Dip each chicken roll in the flour, then the eggs, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken rolls and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
To dress it up, you can garnish the dish with chopped parsley or thyme, and serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or a salad.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 487 Fat: 28g Carbs: 18g Protein: 42g
Note: The nutritional value depends on the brand and quality of the ingredients used.