Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib recipe:
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes Serves: 8-10
- 1 (8-10 pound) bone-in prime rib roast
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Instructions for Chef John’s Perfect Prime Rib recipe:
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the kosher salt, black pepper, minced garlic, dried thyme, paprika, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels and then generously rub the seasoning mixture all over the roast.
- Place the roast, fat-side up, in a roasting pan with a rack.
- Roast the prime rib in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and continue to cook the roast for an additional 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 130 degrees F (54 degrees C) for medium-rare.
- Remove the roast from the oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
To dress it up and make it look beautiful, you can garnish the roast with fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme before serving.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 754 Fat: 69g Carbs: 2g Protein: 45g Note: Nutritional information is approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used.