Here is a recipe for Cast Iron Roast Chicken and Potatoes:
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes Servings: 4-6
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
Instructions for Cast Iron Roast Chicken and Potatoes recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place a cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and place the potatoes in the bottom of the skillet.
- In the same bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and the paprika.
- Place the chicken on top of the potatoes in the skillet. Stuff the lemon quarters, thyme sprigs, and garlic cloves into the cavity of the chicken.
- Roast the chicken and potatoes in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- To serve, carve the chicken and serve with the potatoes.
To make the dish look beautiful:
- Garnish the dish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or rosemary.
- Squeeze the roasted lemon wedges over the chicken and potatoes for added flavor.
- You could also try adding a colorful vegetable, such as roasted carrots or Brussels sprouts, to the dish.
Nutrition per serving (based on 6 servings):
- Calories: 539
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Protein: 39 g