Caldo de Res (Mexican Beef Soup)
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 2 hours Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes Serves: 6-8
- 2 lbs beef chuck or round, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ear of corn, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 chayote, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 cups of water
Instructions for Caldo de Res (Mexican Beef Soup) recipe:
- In a large pot, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, corn, chayote, cabbage, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
To dress it up, you can garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado slices, diced onion, and lime wedges.
Nutrition per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories: 350 Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 28g Protein: 32g