Asian Lettuce Wraps
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head of butter lettuce, leaves separated
- Optional toppings: diced green onions, sesame seeds, diced red pepper
Instructions for Asian Lettuce Wraps recipe:
- In a large skillet, cook ground chicken or turkey over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Add diced onion, minced garlic, and diced water chestnuts to the skillet. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- In a small bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes. Add to the skillet and stir to coat the meat and vegetables. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, place a spoonful of the meat mixture in the center of a lettuce leaf. Top with desired toppings, such as diced green onions, sesame seeds, or diced red pepper.
- Fold the lettuce leaf around the filling to create a wrap. Repeat with remaining lettuce leaves and filling.
To dress it up, you can garnish with cilantro, mint leaves or sesame seeds.
Nutrition per serving (based on 4 servings): Calories: 250 Fat: 14g Carbs: 12g Protein: 21g